Friday, November 2, 2012

What a day!

And another week down. I can't believe how quickly this week went.

I usually don't post a day after I have already done so, but I wanted to share something so GREAT that the kids 'taught' me today.
We were reading over new our sight word book, "Bedtime". Each page started with the words, "This is my...". Of course the kiddos knew the first three words because we have been working on them all week, but when it got to the last word, they 'taught me' an excellent reading strategy. First, in order to figure out the last word on the page, we looked at the picture. For example, one of the pictures could have been a sheet, a quilt, or a blanket. Then, we looked at the first letter of the word. The first letter of the word was a b. We thought about which word started with the 'b' sound....sheet? quilt? blanket? Finally, we agreed that the sentence must be, "This is my blanket." We then used this strategy to read the entire book and agreed that using the picture, as well as the first letter of the word we don't know, definitely helps us when we are reading a book. Try modeling this at home when you read and encourage your child to do the same. They will be so surprised and excited about how much they can read!

Book Buddies and the Library
We did not go last Friday as a result of the field trip, but the kiddos were able to check out books today at the library. We also met with our book buddies from Ms. Stover's class and were able to read outside without sweating. Ask your child about the interview they did with their book buddies today!

Snack
I wanted to let you know that we were sooo busy, we did not get to snack today! I apologize for any, "Mom! I'm starving!!" comments you will receive today.

Homework
New homework went home in your child's Friday folder. It is due next Friday, November 9th!

Tuesday, November 6th
Don't forget! There is a 2-hour delay due to the election on Tuesday. School will start at 10:45am.

No comments:

Post a Comment